- Manages a laboratory program for one or more biotech instructional laboratories, including supervision of laboratory assistants.
- Selects, trains and coordinates the work of lab assistants and graduate assistants assigned to the lab.
- Schedules, monitors and evaluates performance of lab assistants and graduate assistants.
- Recommends enhancements and revisions of lab course materials to faculty.
- Coordinates lectures and laboratory course materials with graduate assistants and faculty.
- Assists faculty with development of equipment proposals.
- Assists students with projects, and may develop industry-sponsored undergraduate laboratory projects.
- Manages ordering and distribution of student lab kits, supervises purchase of lab supplies.
- Evaluates equipment and software for use in the lab.
- Provides training sessions for faculty and lab assistants in the proper use of the lab, as needed.
- Conducts laboratory instruction under faculty supervision. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Additional Job Information:
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Has expertise in both upstream and downstream Biomanufacturing (bioprocessing) methodology. This includes recombinant DNA technology cloning techniques, gene expression, cell growth and harvesting, centrifugation, and methods of protein purification.
- Has expertise in anion exchange and size exclusion chromatography.
- Maintains excellent aseptic technique while working in the laboratory.
- Maintains a record of laboratory activities on a daily basis.
- Can instruct, supervise and train graduate students, undergraduates, as well as other staff in the aforementioned skills and in using relevant laboratory equipment.
- Has experience with working in various MS Office applications including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- MS or BS degree with 4 years of work experience is required.
Email sganapa3@Central.UH.EDU to apply for this position.